Some time ago now Lavender and Levity nominated me for the Real Neat Blog award, and I am just getting around to it. (And of course, since Halloween was yesterday and it’s such a fun holiday, I had to do something with that, hence the creepy logos!)
Let me just start by saying thanks; I am so grateful to have been nominated for this blogging award! It’s always gratifying to know your blog is being read and that somebody enjoys it enough to nominate it for an award, thus encouraging others to check it out as well. I also enjoy how these awards make for a great way for us to get to know each other more informally. So here goes!
The ‘rules’ of the Real Neat Blog award are: (feel free not to act upon them if you don’t have time; don’t accept awards; etc.)
- Put the award logo on your blog.
- Answer 7 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
- Thank the people who nominated you, linking to their blogs.
- Nominate any number of bloggers you like, linking to their blogs.
- Let them know you nominated them (e.g.: comment on their blog; linking their blog notifies them too I believe)
Here are the answers to my 7 questions:
- What natural disaster best represents you?
In public: Snowstorm. I can be very cold and freeze people out if they aggravate me, or if I feel they are a negative impact on me.
In private: Volcano. I can sometimes erupt and spew lava with some ferocity, typically after small aggravations have been brewing underneath and building for a long time.
- If you had to pick one of the two, would you rather be too hot or too cold?
Too cold. (I am not fond of the heat at all!)
- If you won a trip anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Hmm, maybe to some of the Caribbean islands! I visited the Virgin Islands a few months ago and fell in love with the ocean in that part of the world.
- If you could only have one of the following in your dream home, which would you choose: a housekeeper, a personal chef, a personal assistant or a landscaper/gardener?
Housekeeper. No contest there! My husband is a great cook, and I can be my own PA. I can even do some gardening if needed. But cleaning? Ugh! That’s anathema to me!
- What’s your favorite drink?
There’s too many and they are too varied to list just one.
Non-alcoholic: Other than tea (including herbal) and coffee, I am currently loving coconut water, kombucha (cultured tea with probiotics), and tamarind soda.
Alcoholic: I love most cocktails (White Russian & Sangria are definite faves); Hoegaarden is a particular favorite in beer; as for wine, I am reasonably fond of slightly dry, not too heavy-bodied red wines, but Auslese Rieslings are probably my favorite (somewhat sweet, fruity, white wines that are a delight just by themselves or with fruits).
- You should have been in bed an hour ago, but you are still on the Internet. What non-blog webpage is open on your browser?
Netflix; though technically, it’s open on my TV through our Nintendo Wii. If I’m on the computer, probably YouTube.
- Why do you think you were nominated? (Hint: it was because I felt there were good things about your blog, so positive answers only! I want you to humble brag!)
I had to ask my husband to help me with this one, and he said I have a way of digging deep and sayings things which are difficult to put in words; that my posts are very honest, well-thought-out pieces about living (not just surviving) with a chronic illness. Ideally, I would also hope to fill a niche with my blog about scientists with fibromyalgia/CFS/similar invisible illnesses. There’s not very many of us, that I know about, who openly talk or write about going through graduate school in the biomedical research field (which is very competitive and infamous for long work hours, and hence not friendly at all to tired old slow-pokes like us). It is my hope that my blog is a window where people can read about the experiences of one scientist with fibromyalgia, and hopefully help others in similar situations as myself.
My nominees/Blogs I’d love for you to check out:
I know a lot of people don’t participate in these awards, so don’t worry about it if that’s the case. If you do, I would love to see your responses to the questions below and get to know you more in a fun way!
- Crafts, Chronic Illness and Adulting
- Invisibly Me
- Ginger Fancy Photography & Reflections
- Mabel Kwong
Lavender & Levity did a great job of coming up with awesome questions, so I’ll reuse most of them and add a couple of my own!
1. What natural disaster best represents you?
2. If you could swap lives with someone for a day (living or deceased), who would you swap with and why?
3. If you won a trip anywhere in the world, where would you go?
4. If you could only have one of the following in your dream home, which would you choose: a housekeeper, a personal chef, a personal assistant or a landscaper/gardener?
5. What’s the one thing that annoys the crap out of you?
6. You should have been in bed an hour ago, but you are still on the Internet. What non-blog webpage is open on your browser?
7. Why do you think you were nominated? (Hint: it was because I felt there were good things about your blog, so positive answers only! I want you to humble brag!)
I hope you enjoyed getting to know me a bit more through these answers! And I look forward to the responses of my nominees, if they choose to participate. Thanks again to Lavender and Levity for her nomination.